Even though it’s really hard being Deaf at times, if I could choose to be hearing, I wouldn’t. Let me tell you what I love about being Deaf.
• I can claim sign language – the most beautiful and expressive language ever – as my own, and use it whenever I want. I can sign songs, and that is visual poetry, I tell you.
• I can sleep through anything
• Snoring doesn’t bother me.
• When I work with power tools, I don’t need to wear earmuffs.
• I can go shopping in complete silence if I take off my hearing aids. No couples bickering, children’s tantrums, blaring announcements or background music.
• In noisy environments, I am serene.
• I have a fantastic visual memory and am very observant.
• I’m granted an automatic passport to the Deaf community.
• People give me free things, discounts and little extras all the time.
• I read peoples’ faces and body language better than most.
• I communicate well with people who don’t speak English, as I know how to get messages through visually.
• Everyone remembers me.
• When I meet others who are ‘different’ in some way, we share an instant kinship and openness with one another.
• I can get away with almost anything by smiling sweetly.
• I can ignore you when you speak and you’ll never suspect I heard.
This is an original artwork mounted on a reclaimed wooden backing. If you’d like it, it’s available in my shop: